Certain games do not belong in the library, just as certain videos do not belong in the library. Ultimately though it depends on what your primary focus is when deciding to have such material. If you’re looking at solely raising the numbers of patrons using the library then the whole "What ever gets them in here" approach would be acceptable. Which means that we dilute our current collection with movies such as "Diehard 4, Knocked Up, Juno, I am Legend, Dewey Cox Walk Hard" all of which are videos that have mature adult themes. But hey what do we care it is raising our numbers isn't that what we want?
My personal opinion on this has changed since I have worked at the library. I used to be naive and think that by offering these items we are deterring our patrons from making better selections. Believing that a patron would spend more time at other places in our stacks then at the row of dvds and music cd's we have. I was under the impression that the library was off to better the community and to help enhance the literacy of its members. I was wrong and it was at first hard to admit, but I now realize that if we did not have these items half our patrons would never use their cards. And by use their cards I mean they would never check out with them, we'd still see several patrons surfing the internet and checking their myspaces. Although my opinions have changed I realize that, this is the direction our library is heading in. It's what the people want and not what they need, and without those patrons I’d be out of a job.
As a fellow co-worker has told me, we are here to serve and whether that be asked to dance on our hands it is our job to give the public what they want, and at this point in time it seems that the newest hit from blockbuster might just be that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment